Even though I keep a current list of "What I dislike about Google Apps (GApps)?", I would like to put together a few ideas about the #1 in my list: Shared Contacts across the Domain.
Well, we are Google Apps reseller and I am always promoting and showing the benefits and features of Cloud Computing using Google Apps for your Business, however when it comes to this topic - Shared Contacts - I choke a bit and have to look around for alternatives on something that should be part of Google Apps fabric.
Current Google approach to Shared Contacts under Directory looks to me an incomplete, inconsistent and cumbersome solution for sharing contacts. Mostly because there is no actual contacts address books for sharing with different access levels across domain users and groups.
Shared Contacts "App" current limitations:
How could Google fix Shared Contacts App:
Current workaround choices in the meantime:
Backup notes for this post:
Contacts is about personas or in other words persons, roles, uses and visibility
Currently on different levels and mostly disconnected:
- administration: domain users, organizational units,
- domain: shared contacts (domain directory), domain groups,
- user: user's contacts, contact's groups,
- social: g+ circles, g+ communities
What are these groups good for?
- domain groups: sharing, forum, scripting
- contact's groups: visual organization (labels), scripting
- g+ circles/communities: social interactions